Untitled Document


Friday 22nd September 2017 


Group Twos 2017 Irish Championship

An impressive grid of 22 cars took to the track for the twenty-fourth running of the Group Two Irish Championship. George Esler occupied pole position with David Reynolds alongside, while Paul Nesbitt and Richard Purdy shared row two. A very tidy start saw the front row side by side into turn one. Reynolds stuck at it on the outside line and eased ahead of his rival with a well judged manoeuvre. Esler remained tight on the leader’s tail, with Nesbitt and defending Champion Clive Wilson right in the mix as well. There was little to separate this lead quartet during the opening stages, but gradually Reynolds began to tease out a gap to his rivals. Esler was under all sorts of pressure however and eventually lost ground after a spin out which elevated Nesbitt and Wilson into second and third. Reynolds had stretched his lead to the length of a straight by the end and jubilantly crossed the finish line to secure the coveted Irish title after a dominant drive. Nesbitt and Wilson were inseparable right to the end, while a huge gaggle of cars scrapped over fourth. A sort out on the final bend saw Mark Goldie and Matthew Curran spat out of this pack as David Nesbitt crossed the line in fourth. A two place penalty from the steward dropped the Newtownabbey driver to sixth however, with the top ten places confirmed as Reynolds, P. Nesbitt, Wilson, Purdy, Johny Gillespie, D. Nesbitt, Freddie Fleck, Andrew McLeister, Curran and Graham Young.


Junior Rods 2017 Irish Championship

A fine entry of seventeen competitors lined up for the Irish Championship where Shea Duff and Joshua McKinstry occupied the front row. Mark Crawford and Mathew Milliken started on row two, with Stuart Percy and Cole McFall on row three. It was National Champion McKinstry who nipped around the outside to gain an early march on his rivals and the Nutts Corner lad, who has been in great form around the Showground’s oval in recent weeks, confidently led the opening laps. Duff gradually settled into the race after a shaky opening and closed right back in on the leader, with Milliken and Crawford in tow as well. There was drama back in the main field where Samuel Wilson was turned out towards the wall in a move which earned Jamie Hunter a disqualification. Up front the lead quartet now circulated together as Duff patiently waited for an opportunity to make his move. That chance arrived at Suffolk bend on lap nine and Duff immediately slide up the inside to snatch back the lead. Once into clear air Duff really put the hammer down in his Vauxhall and pulled clear for a well judged win, while Milliken nipped ahead of McKinstry on the final bend to grab second, with the top six finishers rounded out by McKinstry, Crawford, Matthew Drysdale and Percy. The support race brought a first ever race win for Andrew Woods after an encouraging flag to flag victory for the improving novice.


F2 Stock Cars 2017 Teng Tools Series Finale

Two roof colour heats preceded the final of the Teng Tools Series and the points scores in these races would be added to those already accumulated in the previous rounds to determine the grid positions for the final. Antony Kincaid set the pace in the opening heat, as the teenager strung together some consistent laps to claim the spoils ahead of Ryan McCrory and Irish Champion Christopher Kincaid. Big brother Christopher responded in typical fashion to secure the chequered flag in heat two, which confirmed him on pole position for the final, with Ryan McCrory alongside on the front row, while Gordy McKee and Thomas Greer occupied row two. McCrory got in and about Kincaid during the opening exchanges to get his nose in front for a couple of laps, but Kincaid soon settled back into the groove once again and motored ahead for his second win of the night, which earned him a £500 voucher from series sponsor Teng Tools.


Stock Rods

Mark Turtle, Kyle Beattie and Liam Irwin enjoyed a keen scrap for the lead in the 18 car opening heat before a caution period was required when Jason Clyde is squeezed up the wall on the exit of turn two. At the resumption Steven McKane burst through to take the chequered flag, but receives a two place penalty from the steward which hands the win to Raymond Harper. Heat two features a strong run from Beattie who secures a commanding victory in his Corsa, with Harper in the frame once more in second. Irwin led the field away in the final, which quickly developed into a fascinating four way battle between Irwin, Beattie, Jordan McCann and Harper. A blanket would have covered all four of them as they fought hard for the lead, but all the time McCready was working his way to the front. Eventually Beattie broke free of this tussle, but McCready was soon on his tail and swopped past to take yet another final win in this dominant season for the Antrim man.

Street Rods 2017 Supreme Trophy

Glenarm teenager Shannon Morrow captured her first final win of the season, and dashed the hat-trick hopes of Gareth Robinson! Cullybackey man Robinson had demonstrated imperious form in the heat races where his immaculate Peugeot 206 stormed to a brace of victories. Morrow had other ideas for the final however and set a brisk pace out front in her Vauxhall Corsa. Robinson edged closer with every passing lap until the pair were together as they started the final circuit. Morrow was not going to be denied at this late stage however and coolly kept her nerve to complete a popular win, with Robinson in second and Norman Mitchell in third. Melanie Gillespie made her debut appearance in a Ford Fiesta and Ben Carvill unveiled the first Renault Clio to be raced in the class.


Photos thanks to DPP

Ballymena Raceway would like thank all the meeting Sponsors

Teng Tools, BRM Services, Nicholl Motorsport, Richard Nicholl Paint Preparations

& Kustom Racewear

click for Official Results (22/09/17)





The information provided on this website is © Ballymena Raceway 2019, unless otherwise stated and may not be reproduced without permission.