Untitled Document


Friday 30th March 2018 

Stock Rods

Two qualifying heats determined the starting positions for the Yokohama Championship and the twenty car opening heat brought a commanding flag to flag win for Scottish visitor Derek Conner in his Vauxhall Corsa. Indeed it was a one-two finish for the visitors as Scottish Champion Trevor Calvin followed the winner home, with Jason Clyde in third.

Heat two developed into a tense scrap between old foes Harper and McCready. It was Harper who made the running for most of the way until the leader was unluckily baulked while lapping backmarkers in the closing laps. This presented an opportunity that McCready gratefully accepted to seize the win ahead of Harper and McFerran.

When the points were tallied it was McCready who earned pole position with the consistent McFerran alongside on the front row. Harper and Clyde occupied row two, with Conner and Calvin the best of the visitors on row three. McFerran made a concerted attempt to wrestle the lead away from McCready over the opening tours, but eventually dropped back to fourth behind McCready, Harper and Clyde. The front two eased ahead slightly as Clyde dropped out after a contentious tangle with McFerran. Harper tracked the leader’s every move throughout, but McCready never put a wheel out of place to secure the Yokohama crown for the first time. Harper was always in contention, but had to settle for second on this occasion, while McFerran escaped any penalty for that earlier incident with Clyde to retain the final spot on the podium. Calvin was the best of the visitors in fourth, with the top ten rounded out by Kurtis Reid, Adam Sloan, Sam McKinstry, Jack Kennedy, Conner and Shea Duff.

National Hot Rods

Glenn Bell took the silverware in Round 8 of the Hankook Performance Tyres World Series NI and dashed the hat-trick hopes of Stewart Doak in the process! Former British Champion Doak took full advantage of his advantageous starting positon in the yellow grade to rattle off impressive victories in both heat races. Those results earned the Portadown man pole position for the final, with Dungannon’s Simon Kennedy alongside on the front row. Bell began his bid for glory on row three after a sixth and seventh place finish in the qualifying heats, but a lightning quick start propelled the 2012 World Champion into third place by the end of lap one! Adam Hylands was next on Bell’s radar and was demoted on lap 6 as Bell made the most of a chink of light on Hyland’s inside to elbow ahead at Fisherwick bend. Bell then sauntered up to the back of the leader’s Tigra and began to size up his next move. This eventually occurred on lap 13 as Bell dived ahead at Suffolk bend and once out front he put the hammer down to romp home for a decisive win. Doak held off the rest of the pack to complete a solid night’s work with second place, while Jaimie McCurdy demonstrated good pace in his Ginetta to claim third, ahead of Mark Heatrick, Hylands and John Christie.

Group Two Lightning Rods

Adam Graham demonstrated great resolve to win the opening heat in his Vauxhall Astra despite all sorts of pressure from the baying pack behind. Jason Darragh was awarded the victory in heat two after on the road winner David Gillespie received a two place penalty for an improper start and runner-up Joshua McMullan was then removed from all results after his car failed post race examinations. The steward was busy in the final as well, with a number of competitors receiving penalties for misdemeanours. Newcomer Johnny Bigger led until the half way point when a yellow flag was required to move the stricken car of Colin Crawley. Bigger was caught cold at the restart and slipped down the order as Darragh motored into the lead with McMullan in hot pursuit. The pair were evenly matched and it took a robust manoeuvre from McMullan to grab the lead with only two laps remaining. That’s the way they crossed the line too, but McMullan’s subsequent removal from the results, couple with a two place penalty for Darragh, meant that Richard Purdy was promoted to first position, with Irish Champion David Reynolds in second.


Street Rods

Two reverse grid qualifying heats determined the starting positions for the Street Rod Challenge Cup. Philip Porter continued his winning ways with another victory in the opening heat, before Points Champion Norman Mitchell broke Porter’s winning streak in heat two. Porter and Shannon Morrow qualified on the front row for the final where Porter secured his second win of the night with a flag to flag success in his Ford Fiesta. Morrow chased hard in her Vauxhall Corsa and enjoyed a good run to second, with Mitchell, Billy Mark and James Taylor the remaining finishers.


Photo's thanks DPP 

thanks to meeting Sponsors: Blok51, Bigger Digger Hire

& Polleysport

click for Official Results (30/03/18)





The information provided on this website is © Ballymena Raceway 2019, unless otherwise stated and may not be reproduced without permission.