Untitled Document


Monday 1st January 2018 

National Hot Rods

The eight car entry included a superb effort from the Stewart’s Garage Team which fielded three cars driven by former Saloon Stock Car multi-Champion Andrew Stewart Jnr, Lightning Rod star Vince Litter, and former 2-Litre Hot Rod racer Ed Litter. It was great to see Team Principal Andrew Stewart in attendance after his recent health problems and everyone at Raceway wishes Drew well on his road to recovery. Carl Sloan began his afternoon with an impressive win in the opening heat before Broughshane’s Jaimie McCurdy steered his Ginetta to a well-judged success in race two. The pair could not be separated after their performances in the qualifying heats so a draw was required to determine pole position for the final, which went in favour of McCurdy, with Sloan’s TorqueTronix Vauxhall Tigra alongside on the front row. The pair jostled in the slippery conditions throughout a lively opening lap before Sloan eased his way ahead on lap two. Once out front Sloan never looked back and increased his advantage with every passing circuit to complete a handsome victory. McCurdy unfortunately dropped out in the closing stages with engine problems which promoted 2005 World Champion Keith Martin into the runner-up spot, with Kenny McCann from Portadown in third. Stewart Jnr. was the best of the newcomers in fourth and posted some decent times on his National debut considering the treacherous conditions.


Stock Rods

Two entertaining heat races determined the grid positions for the final and the first of these brought a good win for Stephen McCready, who was chased home by Raymond Harper and Niall McFerran. Heat two started with a bang when local lad Aaron Moody was turned into the wall on the exit of turn two and went for a spectacular rollover on the opening lap! Thankfully Aaron emerged unscathed, but his track action was over for the day. Prostock star Dan Shannon led the initial stages at the resumption before Harper slipped ahead for a tidy win in his Vauxhall Corsa. Behind the leader Scottish star Lee McGill caught the eye with a great run to second place on his first ever visit to Raceway. Heat winners Harper and McCready shared the front row for the final and a close battle between the pair looked in prospect. McCready had other ideas however and timed his start perfectly to grab the initiative at the green flag. McCready had began to tease out a gap when the field was pulled up with Matthew McKinstry perched on top of the wall at pit gate following contact with Andrew Morrow. Harper made a strong move for the lead when racing resumed, but McCready coolly fended it off before leaving his opponents floundering with some hot laps to wrap up another title success. Jason Clyde came on strongly as the race progressed to grab the runner-up spot, with Harper forced to settle for third.


F2 Stock Cars

The Twos mustered a ten car entry and produced some of the closest finishes witnessed on the day. Heat one boiled down to a last lap showdown between Irish Open Champion Christopher Kincaid and welcome returnee Craig McConnell, who was behind the wheel of the ex-Scott Finlay KMR car. McConnell went in with the hit on the final bend to shift Kincaid, but could not get the traction on the sodden track to take advantage as Kincaid skirted around the wall to hold on for a good win. Track conditions were even wetter for heat two where James Crossett put in a strong performance to lead until the closing laps. Sam McKay was revelling in the wet conditions however and took over three laps from home, but all the time Conor Hughes was closing rapidly on the new leader. Hughes just missed with a do or die effort on the final bend as McKay wrapped up a tidy win ahead of Hughes and Kincaid. The results from the heat races determined the grid positions within each grade for the final and placed McKay at the front of the reds. That proved to be something of a poisoned chalice however as a big sort out on the opening lap relegated McKay to the back of the field. Crossett led until lap six this time, but this one was already shaping into a battle between Dean McCrory and McConnell. The pair eased into the top two spots and were never more than two or three car length’s apart as the laps ticked down. Once again it all came down to the final bend where McConnell went in with another last bend attack. McCrory rode the hit well however and got the better traction out of the bend to maintain his advantage and secure a hard fought win. Once again the track conditions had frustrated McConnell’s attempt, but on this showing the Bangor man will be a major contender for honours once again in 2018.


Group Twos

Irish Champion David Reynolds from Ballymena ushered in the New Year with a heat and final double on Monday afternoon. Two qualifying heats determined the starting positions for the meeting final and the first of these developed into a hotly disputed affair, with no less than six cars battling for the lead at one point! 2017 Points Champion George Esler from Randalstown held sway until lap eight when Reynolds made his move around the outside to claim his first win of the day, with Johnny Gillespie and David Nesbitt in second and third.  Gillespie dominated heat two with a flag to flag success which earned him pole position for the final, with Reynolds alongside on the front row. Reynolds made his move immediately in the trophy race and quickly settled into his stride to lead all the way for a commanding victory. Gillespie chased hard throughout, but had to be content with second this time, with Newtownabbey’s Paul Nesbitt in third.


Street Rods

Points Champion Norman Mitchell departed Raceway with more silverware after a final win in his Ford Fiesta. Mitchell led home Ben Carvill and newcomer Philip Porter, with Louise Donnell in fourth. Mitchell also won the opening heat, with Carvill the victor in heat two.


Photo's thanks DPP 

thanks to meeting Sponsor: McCarroll Plant Hire

click for Official Results (01/01/18)





The information provided on this website is © Ballymena Raceway 2018, unless otherwise stated and may not be reproduced without permission.